Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Let's go build a fort!

Some of the best times of my childhood were when my friends and I would get together in the backyard or find a spot in some woods and build a fort. This didn't necessarily have to be extremely fortified or complicated of a structure, it just needed to be a place where we could go to feel like we were being sneaky and exclusive. The fort would become our meeting place and our hangout.

My favorite of all the forts I ever had was the one at the first house I lived in. There was a row of lilac bushes lining the property line as a natural fence. On the inside of our property line about 6 or 7 feet in, grew a row of 3 pine trees that were about 30 ft. tall and about 20 ft. in diameter around the base. the branches came all the way to the ground providing a lot of shelter. Now, on the inside of the pine trees facing the lilac bushes, all of the needles had shed from the tree and the branches were thinning out, which created a sort of alcove. This is where my sister and I built our first hideout and called it our fort. We would  go back there every once in awhile and clear out some of the brush, and mark out our own "living quarters" as if we were professional mercenaries and this was our actual hideout. I even fashioned a chair and a bed out of some of the branches protruding from the trees. Sometimes I would even bring a sandwich and a drink out to my area of the fort and pretend I was actually living there.

This wasn't the only fort I had in that backyard. As the years went by, and I became better at being a loner kid, I explored more and more the possibilities of different forts in my backyard. We had a shed in the back right corner of our yard that was at an angle facing inward. Because of the angle of the shed and the fact that there was a tall wooden fence lining our back property line, the triangle area behind the shed became a perfect little getaway from what was or wasn't going on in the house. This is also the fort where I made and ate my very first mud pie. Oh what a tasty treat that was!

The shed fort only lasted a short while, because soon after we discovered a woodchuck living under the shed. I remember seeing him come out sometimes, and in my tiny little mind, I saw this woodchuck as a massive creature that would devour me if I got too close to the shed.

There was one more fort that I would like to describe. This one was located in the other corner of the backyard, opposite of the shed. It was at the very end of the fence where I could just reach around and be in the backyard neighbors yard. There was a lilac bush right there as well, that sort of created a protective dome over top of a little area I called the "lookout fort." Here is where I had a view of not only my backyard, but also 3 of the neighbors' back yards. I had a friend who had a telescope, and I had all kinds of spy gear from cereal boxes and happy meals. We gathered all of our equipment and set it all up in that back corner. We had created an amazing headquarters for our "spy missions," and we thought we were so extremely stealthy and awesome!

All this talk of building forts, makes me want to check my back yard to see if there is any potential.

Dream big and Imagine often!

-Paul-

No comments:

Post a Comment